Thursday, February 23, 2012

My creative space: collage

I've had Jeannie Baker's wonderful picture book Millicent out of the library (how could I resist with that name?) and it has inspired me to do some collage. I was lucky enough to see one of her dioramas at a children's book illustration exhibition I went to in Melbourne last year - it was one of the illustrations from The Hidden Forest.

I had a whole lot of old magazines sitting around so I chopped them up and made these funny ladies, with some ink drawing and watercolour to finish them off. They're stuck onto watercolour paper backgrounds.





It's been a bit like playing paper dolls...today they even tried on each other's clothes!
I've now got a collage envelope in my art supplies chest of drawers and plans to make a whole lot more collages!

How about you, what have you been making? For more creative spaces head on over to the "our creative spaces" blog.

Happy Thursday!

5 comments:

  1. I love Jeannie Baker's books!!! "Where the Forest Meets the Sea" is my favourite. Your collages are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. These collages are wonderful. I hope you will make lots more. J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I've been thinking about experimenting with collage too. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Speaking of Jeannie Baker...I just read "Home in the Sky" yesterday and it's fantastic! Such realistic pigeons.

    ReplyDelete